PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 20:36
IFR Piglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just seen the latest BBC report on this accident and feel totally gutted for the crew. To me, they may have simply proved the world that they’re human beings and as a result fallible. Sadly our work can be very very unforgiving. The AAIB will continue to do what they do best and produce a report that shall in time allow our industry learn.
This accident will test the companies flight safety principles and I hope it adheres to the corner stone of any effective SMS….the “just culture”. Far to many of our peers are flight safety stupid or perhaps ignorant is a better word. To much focus is placed on the processes of flight safety, corporate image and not the benefits of the just culture……but that’s another argument for another day.

Any pilot who believes this type of accident can’t happen to them is an idiot and a fool.

With regards to displays; dials illustrate a rate of change better than tapes, hence why the eurocopter products have a trend bar next to the airspeed/altitude tapes in attempt to overcome this inherent shortcoming.

Finally I hope the crew get all the support they need now and into the future.