PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2003, 13:36
famous grouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear all

I do not want to cover old ground, if you are new to this thread and have the time or the inclination then please read the previous posts regarding the complaints made about the course.

However recent developments and recent postings have dictated that I should summarise and clarify some of the points I have made in previous postings.

As we know a major UK operator has pulled out of the course, I’m sure the decision was not taken lightly, but nevertheless it was taken. There are inaccuracies in the coursework, some of the content (as you have seen debated here) is dubious and the quality of the study materials and its delivery style is questionable.

Having said that the motives behind producing this course are honourable and I have to admit I welcome the opportunity to see a formal course for Ops staff. But that is where, with respect to this course, that I have to differ.

FEBA

If you had actually read into Mr Rainbow’s remarks then you would realise that he has also offered his misgivings about this course whist maintaining a need for its substance. Your attack on his style of reporting is unnecessary and not welcome in this debate. How can you ask?

“Acrimonious prattle serves no purpose and the I told you so attitude is childish. All of you get your thinking caps on and come up with some sensible suggestions please.”

And then expect anyone to respond to your request.

“We will have to do the course as a mandatory requirement of JAR OPS anyway”

As I have mentioned to No Sig in a private message, I will say again to you now for the benefit of others. (I think this might be along the lines that JB007 has interpreted the JAR OPS requirement, if not I’m sure he will correct me!!).

Operations staff should be trained in accordance with the (and here’s that word again) “relevant” parts of ICAO DOC 7192 D3. In other words they will expect to see an initial and recurrent training plan based on this document and incorporated in Part D of the Ops manual. As you well know, as we have discussed it here at great length, the operations function differs from airline to airline. Some Operations departments may not be directly involved with certain aspects of ICAO 7192 and have separate departments, let’s say for example “aircraft performance”. With that in mind, the CAA won’t expect Ops staff for that particular airline to be fully conversant with Aircraft Performance.

This is not to say that we shouldn’t know about aircraft performance, a course for operations staff should indeed cover ALL aspects of the ICAO document. A long time ago and new to the Ops profession, a Captain said to me and I quote “what do you know sonny, I have been a Captain for 30 years and I know what I’m talking about”.
A formal course would certainly go a long way to remove this sort of attitude and give more confidence to Ops staff and gain respect when dealing with this sort of occurance.

SUPER AVIATOR

Although I wouldn’t recommend at present that you see the course notes as advised by No Sig, if you viewed them in their current form you would be on the first plane to Florida.

But I do believe the motivation behind this course is good and in time it will be put right, so I would recommend you hang in there for a while and see what develops.

I have mentioned to No Sig in a PM that providing a distance-learning course is much different to providing classroom tuition.

Given time I’m sure things will be put right, however what disappoints me the most is the fact that this course was released to the industry too quickly. I hate to agree with FEBA, but the course does appear hurried. I’m sure No Sig has taken up a lot of his valuable time in his efforts, but sadly and maybe through no fault of his own, the College have not done him justice.

Et Al

I am also guilty of “jumping” in, in so much as I was ready to do this course as soon as I knew of it, I should have taken my own advice when spending that sort of money and had a look at the materials first.

So, as you requested, let me put a suggestion your way FEBA and maybe to you too No Sig. Let’s all get our heads together and produce a course ourselves that will follow the ICAO Doc requirements. We have enough expertise in the UK to do this, it won’t be easy and will mean many people giving their time freely. The UKOMA managed to produce a basic grounding course, let’s move it up and gear and go intermediate and advanced level, we don’t need a college to do this for us.

Best regards FG