PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 16:19
Grenville Fortescue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RVDT
If only it was that easy in aviation. Working with a few "glass machines" over the years it is far from easy even to get something minor changed and released.

e.g. EC135P2 - new config file to change ALT BARO from in/hg to hPa.

7K Euro! As the avionics installed were slightly different than standard and the file had to be written, tested and released.

My experience from "tapes" and "round dials" is that "round dials" don't require you to read the numbers. The angle of the needle is enough.
The processes involved in what amounts to relatively minor modifications (by today's standards) in current MFD technology are sometimes used by manufacturers to drain their client's bank accounts when in fact such systems could be designed from the outset to offer greater flexibility.

Your comments regarding the convenience of circular readouts demonstrates the benefit of offering pilots personalised choices in the style and display of information and I would go further and say that additional options relating to the positioning of specific indicators as well as their relative size should also be optional. In fact, pilots should be able to customise screens specifically to their preferences.

For aircraft regularly flown by different pilots a personal code could be entered into the system to activate an individual's preferences and if large fleet operators wish to standardise all their displays they should be able to "lock" screen options to a specific setting or simply indicate the company's preferred screen arrangement in their SOP's.

Either way we are at a place (technologically) where these kind of options should be available. Moreover, and in my understanding, information displayed in a way which is tailored towards a pilot's personal preferences has the potential to contribute towards the enhancement of safety.