PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puncture preventing sealant in light aircraft tyres?
Old 30th Aug 2013, 15:26
Mechta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mad Jock,

The tailwheel has a tube in it. Not sure about the mainwheel, though. Yes the electric drill option is the most sensible ( the tread mill suggestion was tongue in cheek), although to be honest, by the time the glider has travelled to the launchpoint the mainwheel would have done enough revolutions for it not to be an issue.

I don't know if the stuff, once distributed to a thin layer around the inner tube, stays where it is, of if it would head back to the lowest point if left for a week or more in the hangar.

I've spoken to my regional technical examiner, and he thinks its is unlikely that the BGA could give approval as this is an EASA transitioned glider (it would be different if it was an older 'Annex 2' vintage glider).

He agrees that it is unlikely anyone would know if the sealant was in the tube but if it was found out after an accident he says it could give the insurance company a get out. Maybe the next step is to speak to the insurance company themselves, as a ground loop resulting from a flat tyre seems a far more likely scenario than any I can think of caused by the sealant being present.

I've since noticed that Skycraft actually advertise 'Slime' on the tyre page of their on-line catalogue. They don't actually say it can be used in aircraft tyres, but the fact that it is on the same page as aircraft-specific tyres, infers it.

Last edited by Mechta; 30th Aug 2013 at 15:30.