PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 14:53
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Danny, Mon Vieux, you have clicked a synapse.

We single Strubby ATCOs lived in the Mess(es) at Manby. There was, of course, a luxury blue coach provided by MT which ran between the Hallowed Halls of the CAW and that obscure (not so little) RLG at Strubby. But what use was that to a shift-working ATCO?

Basically, we worked split-shifts. Morning/evening on Day 1, afternoon on Day 2, rinse and repeat. Let's say 0700-1230 and 1800-whenever ... Remember that was Flying Training Command, and I'll come back to that aspect. A few controllers worked "days" 0900-1700, to augment for peak traffic, although that was a rarity ... Except in GCA.

Now it's all very well having a Crew Coach turn up at Strubby at 07-whatever ready to start the day. But ATC has to carry out runway inspections, get the GCA truck set up, attend/contribute to the morning briefing, etc etc. so last-minute.Strubby doesn't work. We have to be there earlier. Then comes lunchtime ... Usual manning for the Truck was one on morning, one on afternoon and one on days. So the morning finished at 1300, the afternoon started at 1200, which gave the day-worker a chance to grab lunch at the feeder on the old Domestic site. Ahhh ... But wait!!! When does the coach go? 1230, IIRC, and the next one is at 1500. So the morning shift controller is marooned until then, and yet may be required back at work at 1800.

Or not ... Because this was FTC. Night flying was, strangely, conducted in the dark. This meant, in Summer, that it didn't start until 2130+ and often, if the programme was a bit behind, didn't finish until dawn's early light around 0500. Than back to Manby, to grab a few hours' sleep, before being back on watch at 1200. At this point I should note that the Mess lay under the downwind leg of Manby, so the whine of the constant thrust, variable noise, JPs ensured fitful slumber. And then off to work again ... For 1200.

At this point in this interjection, you may have noticed a lack of detail called "meal times". Essentially, the GCA shifts and MT times precluded eating. Early breakfast - possible. Lunch - forget it. Dinner - ahhh, often too late starting, got to go to work.

The only solution to having a vaguely human existence, as an ATCO, was to have independent transport. Then, with luck, you could get to the Mess for a meal, or get to work having had one ... Most of the time.

I was luckier than Danny ... My uniform allowance on commissioning had been squandered on £115 of Hillman Minx. I was mobile. I was still paying tailors some 4 years down the line, but at least I got to eat as a GCA controller at Strubby.