PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 13:52
bondu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Derek,

The main problem with any incident/accident these days is the ease of 'communication' via 'social media'. News is almost immediately being broadcast, usually without any facts being available. The 'Facebook' thread is a prime example of an idea being generated and spread without any hard evidence. As pilots, we tend to want hard facts before we make decisions - not always, but usually.
A lot of emphasis in the media reporting was based on second-hand 'eye witness' reports. Ask any policeman or lawyer about the accuracy of eye witnesses! Any delay in producing hard facts will inevitably result in a vacuum which will be filled by uncertainty and apprehension. That's the world we live in today.
Logically, waiting for the interim report from the AAIB is the only sensible thing to do, but that does leave that vacuum and people will jump in to fill it.
I've been flying the AS3322L/EC225 for 21 of the past 26 years - over 10,000 hours. I am confident in the aircraft. The EC225 is perhaps the best machine to have flown on the North Sea, closely followed by the S92. The next types - AW189, EC175 - will no doubt be even better.
As aircrew we all have wives/husbands/children etc that we want to go home to - we would not knowingly climb into an aircraft we thought was not fit for purpose. There is a very old saying, "there are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but very few old bold pilots". I and I'm sure all my colleagues want to be old pilots, drawing our pensions and looking back on our safe careers.
I hope this might go some way to allay your fears and apprehensions, but feel free to ask any other questions, either on this thread or by private message.

bondu