PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 13:35
HeliComparator

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
DJS - For both you guys and us, its very hard to know anything for sure until a preliminary report is released into the public domain. However, those guys at the HSSG, Eurocopter and the senior management at the helicopter operators will know a lot more than we do at this stage.

As I said, we can't be sure, but the indications, taking into account the press statements, lack of technical action from CAA or EASA or EC, all point to the fact that the accident occured when there was nothing wrong with the helicopter. From that you can infer some sort of pilot error, but please lets not jump the gun on that one until the report comes out.

What is termed "pilot error" can arise from sheer stupidity, incompetance, negligence and general daftness of the pilots. However it is very rarely like that. More often it is a result of a series of relatively minor events coming together, with the saviour of last resort (the pilots) for some reason failing to act just as they should. There can often be systemic faults in procedures, SOPs, training and company culture that are contributory factors, not to mention the pilot being sub-optimal on that day due to a row with the wife or a colleague, some minor ailment etc etc.

If I was given the opportunity to fly tommorow, I wouldn't hesitate, although I would much rather fly in an EC225 than a 332L or L2, since the former is so much more technologically advanced and pilot friendly.

For you, it is your choice, but there is no logical nor technological reason why you shouldn't be just as safe as always in a helicopter. That is, you can never be totally safe in anything you do from lying in bed, crossing the road etc, but the probability of anything happening on your flight is extremely small. You are going to die sometime, its highly, highly unlikely that it will be in a helicopter.

Last edited by HeliComparator; 30th Aug 2013 at 13:37.