PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 11:51
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"survey of all the NS pilots" After decades of flying with "steam driven" round instruments, I converted to the EC225 many years ago. The conversion training we got from HC was thorough, to say the least. He and the other trainers/line trainers didn't unleash us to fly as line crew until they and we were comfortable.

Having said the above and after comparing impressions with several colleagues, I can safely say that it took most of us some months of having to concentrate on the EFIS presentations before they became second nature. As HC has mentioned, it was a bit of a challenge going back from EFIS in the EC225 to round dials in the AS332L/L1.

Now I must assure all doubters that the way Eurocopter (Airbus) presents the information on the screens is nothing short of brilliant. The concept of having most of the essential information arranged along a horizontal lubber line seems to me like "why isn't this made compulsory for all aircraft?"

For reasons best known to themselves, Sikorsky chose to spurn the opportunity presented by new technology and "wasted" their S92 flat screens by reproducing essential flight information in the old round analogue dials format. Why bother with screens at all, in that case?

If any of our passengers are still following this thread, the most safety you're likely to get for years to come is in the EC225 with its VERY sophisticated autopilot which caters for almost all pilot errors and the biggest escape windows of all 19 seat helicopters.

Last edited by Colibri49; 30th Aug 2013 at 19:49.