PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 10:56
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if now is the time to have a survey of all the NS pilots to see what they want to see on each flat screen, what autopilot functions they need and how easy it is to activate them and avoid secondary problems if the function is used/activated in an in appropriate way.

It seems from what I hear that the S92 system is not as user friendly as the 225. Why?

I have, unfortunately, not flown glass cockpit so may be a luddite but I have flown with several types of GPS systems - some of which were impossible to use without deep understanding of the manual and constant practice and others which seem to work as the human mind does so are intuitive to use.

I had the opportunity to fly a RAF Jaguar, (in the sim) a head up display ILS - it was very simple - you had a circle on the screen and so long as the dot (ILS beam) was kept in the centre of the circle you were on localiser and glideslope, the circle calculated drift for you. DME, height and speed were on the side of the display with the ability to set DH as an alarm. I was told approach and threshold speed and it was very easy to fly a good stabilised approach - and a good landing

So I can see how correct development of new ways of displaying can make the pilot's work load less.

HF

Last edited by Hummingfrog; 30th Aug 2013 at 10:59.