PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 08:14
jimf671

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
On the matter of displays and human perception, many many years ago when I was a student, the class were test subjects for an undergraduate psychology project on spatial ability.

Most of the tests took the form of timed exposures of patterns of marks or letters in an array. Tests were done faster and faster to find the limit of the subjects ability.

The fastest of all the tests was ludicrously fast. I was surprised that human perception operated at these levels. A marker was in an array of boxes and we had to nominate its position. The speeds at which the group were able to do this ranged from 20ms down to 2ms. Yes, milliseconds.

These tests left me in no doubt that displays showing a simple position are far more easily perceived than anything with writing. You might have a preference for a different approach when the sun is shining and all is good with the world but when the pressure is on your brain knows differently.