PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 30th Aug 2013, 07:05
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
Geoffers, your comments ring a bell with me, but only for the first 25 hrs or so, then one becomes acclimatised. The L2 does by the way have flat screen displays, unless you are referring to a difference between the slight curve of a CRT screen (L2) vs the completely flat LCD screen (eg 225)?

The L2 has 2 screens, one with attitude, speed, pressure alt etc, the other with heading, Nav, power and radalt. The hardest thing I found was getting a hang of looking at the right screen for pressure alt vs radalt. Also, the mechanical standby altimeter was the same size, and next to, the mechanical clock. So many's the time I thought it was 2 o'clock, just because we were at 2000' (or vice versa, which was worse!).

When I moved to the 225 with all info needed to fly the aircraft on 1 screen, it was so much easier, and when converting people from the 332L it never seemed to be an issue. Therefore I think the detail of the MMI is what matters, not whether its separate mechanical instruments, round dial EFIS or strip gauge EFIS.

With the grounding of the 225, a lot of our chaps went back onto the 332L and there were a number of reports with difficulty keeping a good scan.

Last edited by HeliComparator; 30th Aug 2013 at 07:17.