PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landings in a Piper Warrior
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2013, 04:13
vdehart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landings in a Piper Warrior

I'm at 20 hours and on the verge of my first solo flight. I had to go up for a "pre-solo" phase check with another instructor at our club to satisfy insurance requirements. I passed the check and expect I'll have my first solo soon.

Only gripe I have with the phase check was my first landing (we did three, two touch and go's and the final landing). The approach seemed perfect right up until I was over the numbers and started to flare. At this point it felt like a gust of wind picked up the right wing and rolled me hard to the left. I over-corrected, and ended up in a steep bank to the right now. I was still nose high and bleeding off speed but this violent wobble continued in lesser severity until I was able to level it off and drop it on the back two wheels without any bounce, but you could tell it was a hard landing. The instructor didn't have much to say even though I immediately told him I could do better and showed him on the following two.

Any advice on how to deal with a situation like this? I've never expereienced such a violent wobbling right in the flare itself, and I know that next time I go up it might just be me, myself, and I.. The biggest thing I noticed was lack of control authority at this point because of the dwindling airspeed and high angle of attack. What can I do to smooth something like this out to avoid swiping a wingtip against the runway or worse?

Thanks!