PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good or bad idea for airlines?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2003, 11:02
Northern Highflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can see both sides here but have to agree with cloud.

I wanted to be a pilot since I was 4 but RAF wouldn't have me when I looked into it at 16. Back then there was no Internet as such, so I assumed (wrongly) that my flying ambitions were over.

Maturity is a great thing. When I was refused by the RAF I was devastated and went into computing. I could kick myself for not looking further into it and considering airlines but hindsight is a great thing. Then again I couldn't have afforded the bus fare to Sherburn back then never mind any lessons.

Yes I met a girl and got a mortgage. Then I found myself single so I looked into it again a few years ago. No wife or kids so I am in a better position to do it now than I have ever been. Now got PPL (at Sherburn) and in a position to achieve my life ambition starting later this year. The house can act as security with the bank to help fund it. My financial position is now more stable and I would be even willing to part fund a sponsorship but alas I am not eligible.

My parents have never been in a position to help so I have had to do it "the hard way". If I was 45 I could understand the concern regarding large investment for little return from the Airlines point of view regarding how many years they can get put of a new pilot, but I have minimum 20 good years to offer.

Maybe sponsorship should be offered to anyone with a PPL. A PPL at any age shows more committment than no experience at all.

OBK
Maybe we should meet in the lounge for a chat some time.

regards

NH