PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last Squadron Leader OC of an RAF squadron?
Old 29th Aug 2013, 16:37
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Were it not for Field Marshal Wilson (and to a lesser extent Admiral Beatty), the RAF might very well have used the Army ranks it began life with, which'd have ended the multiple posts and threads I've seen here and on the Army means decrying the fact that Sqn Ldrs don't lead squadrons before they began.

Genuine question here, for I don't know the answer - but how many air forces of any notable size have squadrons (or equivalent formations) under the command of a Sqn Ldr equivalent?

As for FB11's question -assuming that he means a squadron equipped with a fighter or bomber type and serving in a front-line (as opposed to OCU/TWU/OEU) role, 8 Sqn had a Sqn Ldr boss until October 1970, which may make it one of the last fighter squadrons with a Sqn Ldr in command.

I think - I'd have to check, though - that this makes it one of the last squadrons to be in that position, if not the very last. Of course, this omits instances of squadrons being commanded by squadron leaders on a temporary basis, and the already-alluded examples of Sqn Ldrs commanding a squadron with a fighter or bomber numberplate, albeit not directly in that role.