PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2013, 12:02
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
We have to thank a lot of our colleagues who gave their time beyond the call of duty to the union tech committes as well as the clued up tech pilots.
In the 70s we had lots of overruns ...a vc10 in BKK...fungus during the monsoon season, Athens ...rubber deposits and drizzle...Bilbao...standing water...as in EDI
The 70s saw 12 recuts or retreads as standard...many pages of carry forwards.

Concorde started the chain of tyre development...which still isn't 100% as demonstrated in formula 1.
These guys legacy included....
Tyre construction, rubber compounds, tread patterns, grooving of runways, better drainage, pourous Tarmac, carbon brakes, better antiskid, reliable braking systems, better manufacturing techniques as well as materials. Longer runways, slower landing speeds, better approach aids, runway distance markings, braking coefficient reporting.......and I haven't touched on winter ops or training...

As to SOP..I always did a check on short finals...gear,flaps, speed, thrust, attitude ..surface wind....landing clearance..is runway clear...if in Madrid is the bloke on the runway going to get airborne..if he doesn't can I land and stop or should I go around and if I do what do I do...gink right so that I can see him...rather than pulling the nose up ....wake turbulence....
Not forgetting is my colleague happy by keeping him/her in the loop..
If it all looks right at 100 ft then I'm happy..what happened one minute ago doesn't matter.
This incident appears to have happened because the controller made an incorrect judgement call...simples...and witnessed many times especially in Spain.