PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any commercial pilots had Lasik eye surgery?
Old 29th Aug 2013, 09:51
airjordan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't give advice as to whether to go ahead or not, that's obviously your decision in the end, but i'll share my experience.

I had lasik done in 2006 before I had my initial class 1 medical done, so slightly different to your situation if you already had a class 1 and will be trying to keep it current.

I was interested in becoming a commercial pilot at the time and decided to get lasik done before I tried for a class 1, taking the risk that it could have affected my chances to hold a class 1.

Anyway procedure went well, quite foolproof these days.
My eyesight was quite bad previously, -6.5 both eyes.

Happy to report that ever since on each year's eye sight test I am 2 lines below 20/20 in each eye separately and it has not gotten worse. No problems with night vision whatsoever.

There was no problem getting my class one - I was truthful in my application and admitted I had lasik done. The ophthalmologist checked my cornea and all was sweet. I have since held a class one with no problems. There has been no requirement to have any extra checks done year on year - just the standard eye sight test.

I do however, get an optometrist to independently check my eyes each year anyway to make sure there aren't any problems.

Procedure wise, it was quick, about 5 mins per eye and no pain. I'm sure the technology and procedure has somewhat improved since then.

Best thing I have ever done. Life without glasses and contact lenses is bliss.

Hope this helps.
Goodluck.