PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2013, 09:23
CaptainProp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still not getting it hu? SOPs are a fact in today's aviation (and for very good reasons!!) and we are paid to follow them.

Could we fly approaches that did not follow our SOPs? Sure! No problem! Question is - Why the h_ll would we?! Can you explain that to me?

Should we also take off and fly the entire flight with the gear down? In the early days we had commercial flights (still do!) with non retractable gear! Never mind the fact that we are supposed to put them up after take off, worked then, works now, right? Continue an approach in track and vs when the ILS fails in CATIII conditions? Because we are all great aviators and can follow a track and vs right? I mean, in theory we should hit the runway at some stage, right?

This has nothing to do with ability or skills to do circling approaches, high speed approaches and all those other maneuvers requiring exceptional aviators that you old school guys are preaching about.

Purple Pitot - I'll give you one thing though, a lot of pilots do get very lazy with all the automation available to them. Is that a "main killer"? No. Is it a result of SOPs? No.

As you old school aviators are not ready to take my word for it, have you bothered reading the documents I linked to in previous post about stabilized vs non stabilized approaches and their relationship to hard landings, deep landings, runway overruns etc etc. ?? Guess not....?

Last edited by CaptainProp; 29th Aug 2013 at 09:24.