PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 29th Aug 2013, 07:42
Ray Joe Czech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lies, dammed lies, etc.

Airwave45:

"Two operations, side by side have a world of difference in stats.
.....why is that? ..."

You have repeatedly referred to "two operations" and "Scottish helicopters" over the last few days. I would point out these are artificial constructs that exist only in your head.

There is no "Scottish helicopters" at Aberdeen; there are three completely separate companies, one of which has had three of the accidents and the other two. To lump the third, which hasn't been involved in any of these, into some imaginary grouping may simplify things for you but it does not match the reality of the situation.

What seems to be going on in your posts is an attempt to use a lack of accidents to show the Norwegians as having a level of excellence we should all aspire to, while disregarding the same lack of accidents at Bristow in Aberdeen as statistically insignificant or some kind of dumb luck. You can't have it both ways. I realise you haven't explicitly said this in your posts but the subtext is clear.

As to levels of excellence, perhaps we should all, Norwegians included, look at how they do it in Scatsta where they have had ZERO fatalities since the operation started. Yes, I am being sarcastic, but this is the kind it thing that statistics throw up. Like any other operation they too have had their share of close calls.

Finally, can I just say how disappointed I am with the final line of the BALPA statement, which buys into this intellectual vacuousness. I'm pretty sure you could go to _any_ offshore helicopter company and learn things about improving safety.