PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 29th Aug 2013, 00:58
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
I know how I would vote....get the ol' girl moving to the point I could hand off to George....sit back and admire the fine job George is doing....and when it is time for me to earn my money again....thank George and take the controls for the landing.

I do hold with the concept that the Autopilot system might be doing the mechanical part....but the Pilot Flying is doing just that by use of the Autopilot system. The Pilot Not Flying....is taking care of all the other tasks...and at the same time making sure the PF and George are in synch and the PF is directly supervising George.

There is no nicer thing than to watch George do an ILS to minimums and put you into the exact same spot every time like clockwork. That it is much safer makes it all the better.

Even in the early days of Autopilot systems....I used them as much as possible particularly when single pilot. If you think they are more trouble than they are worth.....be single pilot all set up and planned for an ILS to a runway in rotten weather.....and get a Runway change close in to the airport and have the auto pilot kick off due to a technical fault.

The stress level can be tremendous especially if it is at night and you happen to drop the Approach Plate when you are shuffling paper around getting set up.

No....Automation is very good.

Just use it correctly.