PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 29th Aug 2013, 00:36
bigglesbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airwave, and the wider offshore "bear" community, I understand your concern on automation as I once felt that way too. Back then I was flying the AS332L after four years of flying SAR on the S61, believe it or not the 61 was more automated for the SAR role than the 332 ever was.

I held off applying to fly the 225 for fear of loosing my flying "feel" and my seat of the pants ability to fly. I had all the same concerns others have expressed here and fully understand and support those concerns. The difference is when you get an in depth look into the 225 and HOW it does things. Perhaps an idea would be to get a few savy operators like you into our sim to watch a crew get put through their paces in a bad BAD weather scenario. Thus you could see how it really does work at the sharp end.

I am being utterly honest and sincere in my praise of the 225, I know 11 years on the north sea is nothing compared to others but given a choice it would be a 225 every time. I am confident in our aircraft, engineers and training and will vouch for them every time. I cannot comment on other operators though as I have only been one scheme of red/white/blue.

I sincerely hope the current situation can be improved, not just a "oh they've forgotten" and business as usual, but a proper review/investigation of how we can drive safety forwards. When it comes to safety we cannot rest on our laurels and it must be forever onwards and upwards folks.

Peace, love and happiness lets see how much of a flaming I get now

Si