PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 22:09
airwave45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comment from the back of the bus (again, I know it's not welcome by all, but, tough, this is the internet)
As non willing pax, I'm so heartened by the tone of the commentary. There are patently people who think outside of the "poleing" box and consider the use of automation, in it's place, with due regard to currency and competency.
Finally saw a comment by a Noggie (not meant to be derogatory, just a shortening of the name, sorry) which came across as complimentary as could be about Scottish sop's, maint practises and standards.

He doesn't get why there are differences. I don't get why there are differences, you (as the boys n girls at the pointy end) don't see why there should be differences either.

Maybe, maybe it is a statistical anomoly.

Maybe it's not.

For those still nailing their colours to the mast and defending one breed of helicopter, you are missing the point.
Sorry.

Two operations, side by side have a world of difference in stats.
.....why is that? ...
i'm buggered if I know, and patently most of us on here are too.

My earlier reference to automation, was really to kick out the CFIT thing, if, and I have no idea, it was CFIT, then, why?
DB champions appropriate use of automation.
(Personally, I hate it, as it diminishes my role, but I do a different job from you)
Sort of.

If guys are not using appropriate levels of automation, why not?

There were some other comments about shaving costs being pushed from oil co's.
That troubles me on two levels.
1) the oil co's are deadly serious about upping standards, they really are.
If you feel that they are only talking the talk and not walking the walk, i'll bet you a month of my wages versus a month of yours that I can prove they mean it.
We may have to dodge middle management biffs to nail that down, but at VP level, they genuinely are sod the cost, make it safe.
2) you percieve that cost matters to the oil co's.
Hand on my heart, if there is a perception on your part that it's safer to be in the cruise for 10 more minutes to make things safer. Not one swinging d1ck from any oil co will disagree.

To give perspective on where that comes from, the bunch of proffesionals I look after, get through 25mil a month (usd) i have calls from field guys who tell me that the senior op on the job is "tired" and needs to take "rest".
I can and do sanction shutting down a 200k/day op, to let them "take rest"
Nobody gives me more than sarcastic passing sh1t for doing that.

Sometimes, the "big boy pants" need wearing at the pointy end.
Sometimes. ( well, by the management of the pointy end)

I'm astounded by the levels of automation you seem to use.
i'm also astounded that, if that actually is the case, CFIT could even be mentioned (so possibly what is said and done, don't match)

The cause of the most recent incident will come out in due course.
I doubt it will change which ship is in use.
I hope, genuinely, that there is a bit of prolonged, serious, navel gazing goes on as to what can de done to improve things.

There is a steady stream of old ( experienced, not too bad at their day Jobs) farts getting out of the N Sea as they perceive it to be just too scary to go to work.
(I know some of them go to work on motorcycles which makes that comment nonsensical, but there are control issues there)

Just for clarity sake here (as a dig at those who have intimated I should button it) if I get it wrong, I can kill the company.
If you get it wrong, you won't.

Many thanks to SP for allowing me on the fora.
Many thanks to SP for deleting the worst of my rants.
However, the Chinooks were atrocious !
:-)

None of your posts have been deleted nor moderated?
Which you may take as recognition that your contributions are more than welcome here, and add to the wisdom generated by this thread.

Even if not all agree with your views: especially about the BV234 and the willingness of oil companies to spend wisely on aviation safety, but that's a personal opinion!
Splot