PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on post CPL options
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 21:42
BreakNeckSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you will realise that you were just increasing the profit margin for flights that have already been funded
Or in the case of at least one former Top End operator, using the additional cash flow to reduce their hire-out rates and undercutting the @#$% out of their competitors. Great way to ensure you win a contract I suppose..

As for the insurance premiums excuse - I recall when I started out my employer at the time sought a specific exemption on the insurance policy for me to be able to operate their "larger higher performing aircraft" like the C210 as I didn't meet the required minimums. They provided the ICUS and I was brought up to standard. The pilots tasked with supervising offered some good information and constantly challenged me with hypothetical discussions and "what ifs" - which allowed me to learn from their experiences.
By comparison, speaking with a handful of people who paid for their ICUS with the operator in my first paragraph, the "Supervisors" were actually not much more experienced than those they were "Supervising" and sat in the RHS, silent, watching as the VDO filled their log books one scintilating "larger higher performing aircraft" hour at a time.