PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 19:52
role

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have followed this thread since the tragic incidence happend on the 23. My deepest condolences to the families of the "pax" who did not survive the ditch.
Being a norwegian pilot with experience in the NS since 1984 I'm a bit surprised why the focus is so "high"on the different accident rate in the NS between the UK side and the "noggis". Well, first of all we have had our share of serious accidendts back in the 70's with the S61.So did the UK side. Later on we had several accidents/indidents with different helicopter types being used in the NS.
I do not see any significant differences in SOP's or the OM on the UK side and "noggis"side. Having worked close with the operational management on one UK operator I must admit that the standard and high quality of helo ops impressed me. Why then is the accident rate higher on the UK side. I don't have the answer but this has to be solved. We"noggis" do have a high BNP but still we have to argue a lot to safety improvments. The happenings on the UK side is not a booster to the helicopter transport for the "pax".
We need to establish some sort of cooperation between operators in the NS where we sort out best practicies and safety programs and leaving competitions out....