PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 16:56
safewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did I do that?

The old saying that there are no new accidents in aviation, applies equally to incidents.

Physics is physics whether it be iron dial or fly by wire.....you need to manage the energy.

To acknowledge our humanity in this job is paramount because the only way any individual pilot establishes their limits is to go beyond them at some point.

Our hope is that this one breach will suitable chasten the individual, but in the absence of self preservation SOPs serve as a good anchor.

But in our humanity we must also acknowledge in the cold light of day why did this happen in the first place.

On review of any incident the protagonists must ask what was I thinking when;
My speed is high on final approach and there is an aircraft lining up.
I'll issue a line up clearance to an aircraft not yet at the holding point of the runway with an aircraft approaching rapidly.
I'll accept such a line up when I know I'm heavy not yet at the runway and a combination of the TCAS data and visual clues show an aircraft less than 4 miles out.
I become a spectator to the event as my options have run out because for some reason I couldn't say no.
And yes I'm tired I'm human I make mistakes but now I have to write a report detailing why this happened and how I was party to it. This tires me out even more and makes me worry for my job which is fatiguing which if we all think about in this job is the biggest enemy to aviation.

Then armchair experts dissect the report who weren't there.....or would have done it better or different. Because when it happened to them there was no Ops monitoring, Internet, forums looking over their shoulder.

The human experience don't ya love it........