PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 15:00
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
If you recall....back when you were doing that....I bragged on you.

The initiative you started on that is exactly the kinds of things that need to be done within the Industry but on all levels and on all sorts of issues.

Improvements can start at the bottom and work their way up the chain as that is where the closest contact with what is actually needed occurs.

Fancy, gold plated, glitzy over hyped programs with catchy Titles sound good...but don't really accomplish much. It is the hard work, which way too often is rejected, refused, or neglected by those well up the Management Chain that holds the best chance for making immediate improvements in safety.

I absolutely pissed off a most Senior fellow at one Operator....when I asked him how it felt to be in charge of an Operation where he knew without a doubt that he would be attending three or four Pilot's Funerals every single year he was in charge. He was a good Guy.....new to the job....and I think took to Heart what I meant by that question.

He had inherited a lot of problems.....and over time a lot of good changes took place. Some years he did not have the need to attend any Funerals at all.

Last edited by SASless; 28th Aug 2013 at 15:02.