PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 14:04
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Some very good posts to read this morning.

I recall the great work Double Bogey did on the Night Approaches and he should be commended for that initiative.

I am surprised to learn the Aberdeen Simulator(s) are not working nearly 24 hours each and every day. I would think every pilot, but especially newer pilots would be encouraged to make use of the Sim(s) anytime they were not scheduled for Required Training.

When going through the US Army Instrument Flying Course on Huey's....my Stick Buddy and I would take a Six Pack of Beer....climb into the Sim in the Evening on our own time....and FLY. We got lots of hours, flew lots of approaches, experienced lots of Turbulence.....and generally just had a hell of a lot of fun. None of that hurt us one bit in the course.....and certainly made the "Legitimate" training much easier and more effective as we had the "pole shaking" down pat.

While teaching in the Sim at two different OEM Training Centers....I would do much the same. Whenever there was a vacant Sim....I would climb in and duplicate routes I had flown or were flying on my other job as a Line Pilot. I did them real time usually....input malfunctions...and always flew in weather that required approaches to minimums....and almost always flew them manually.

On use of Automation.....absolutely use it to the maximum...for continuity of training if nothing else. Hand fly on Revenue trips....why not so long as you do so in decent weather. If the weather is near minimums or at Night Off shore...by all means use the Autopilot system.

Coordination between Flight Departments from Operators.....why not have quarterly meetings by Training Staff and Ops Staff to work at finding the Best Practices for similar aircraft. Let the Commercial Staff compete for business but the Pilots and Engineers should be able to work towards standard Safety Practices and Flying Standards. You share the same sky, fly the same aircraft, why would you not benefit from the other guy's experiences?

Emergency exits.....some problems being reported about Opening Doors that block Emergency Exits because of a Door Handle being in a bad position.....and that has not been addressed and resolved yet? Or did I miss something?

Working Engineers and Pilots on the Corporate Board....now that would really rock the US and UK Operators World wouldn't it!

PA....I applaud you for telling us about your experience with the CFIT. That is the kind of courage we need to see more often as others can benefit from what would otherwise have been just a tragic day otherwise. Every time I read of a friend being involved in an Accident....I understand very well it could have been me instead of them....and I also know that no matter how good we think we are....none of us are immune.