PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Vision Goggles (NVG discussions merged)
Old 12th Mar 2003, 07:13
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Max, I believe Canada is the closest to getting civilian operators clearance to operate on NVG, my question is how will it be regulated. NVG skills are not difficult to aquire with the right training but will civilian operators pay the costs of the continuation training that is required - the skills are perishable just like instrument flying and must be practised.
I read an article in one of the helicopter comics recently that suggested that IFR training wasn't required as part of, or a precursor to, an NVG qualification. Methinks the writer has never encountered bad weather on goggles - as most NVG pilots will tell you by the time you realise that weather has degraded the goggle picture, you are already in the middle of it and are very likely to need your IFR skills to get out.
If HEMS and police start to operate on NVG, how long will it be before private pilots claim their right to use them too - then we will see some interesting accidents.