PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iberia: A-321 210kts at 3.8nms ......
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 11:03
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think we are mixing up practices from another era and today commercial aviation. From my perspective (ATC) 99.99% of all APP I see are stabilized, and when in 0,01% we have an unstabilized one it results 99.9% of the time in a go around .

When one in a few 100.000 or even a Million occurs, like in this case, a conditional clearance,then a controller pushing with a immediate take off, combined with a fast inbound and a slow moving departure, we get an incident, reported and investigated. So where is the problem ? The system works well I'd say. Even in Spain.

Things have changed a lot in my time. and it is far, far safer today than when I started 40 years ago. Read again Ernst Gann " Fate is the Hunter" you'll see what was possible to do in an airliner in 1940-1950. But do not forget to read also the first opening pages with the 100 names of pilots-friends he lost during that time.
As to going in the week end to practice foolish things on GA aircraft or on UL ,to releive boredom. Forget it. In GA the same energy management rules are applying. Today an airline like Lufhansa has lost quite a few good pilots in aircraft accidents in the last 20 years , all of them in GA/UL accidents .