PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 10:15
Prawn2king4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HC, what about the other end?

IMO one of the most precise bits of flying required is when approaching a single platform at night with no wind and no horizon. It’s a perfect blend of visual and instrument flying that requires inputs that still renders offshore flying a skills based profession. Ok, there’s not many days when there’s no wind on the NS but the requirement for hands on flying is evident. I haven’t flown the 225, but I venture to suggest the requirement still exists. Until the industry comes up with an offshore approach aid equivalent to the ILS, then I think every chance should be taken to practice manual flying in actual conditions, as opposed to the simulator – particularly approaches. And that includes the ILS - you state that there has only been one occasion when a manual ILS had to be flown due to equipment failure, but on how many occasions has flying a manual ILS resulted in an accident? None, I believe. Maybe a good idea to look at the threads regarding automated flying in the FW world – aka Asiana for example.