PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 10:10
pilot and apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much of an uproar would it cause if helicopter passengers were told, 'You're a big guy, so sit by the door. You're a slim guy, so sit by the removable window. You can fit through it easily, and agile enough to do it quickly.'?

My guess is that the slimmer passengers would complain like mad that they are being moved away from the larger exit, despite the fact that such a process would give a greater chance of getting everyone out alive, and it wouldn't have crossed their minds if it hadn't been brought to their attention.

There are some aspects of improving flight safety that, whilst valid, are likely never to see the light of day...
I had a passenger a few years ago whose weight was in excess of 450 lbs. He had difficulty entering the aircraft on the ramp and the other passengers expressed their concern over exits, evac, etc.

I immediately pursued this with our customer (for offshore work the pax are users, the oil company is the customer) and I was told unequivocally that this was a lawsuit they had already lost and that if we wished to remain on contract, we would carry him offshore.

Quote:
How much of an uproar would it cause if helicopter passengers were told, 'You're a big guy, so sit by the door. You're a slim guy, so sit by the removable window. You can fit through it easily, and agile enough to do it quickly.'?
Really? You haven't seen our " emergency exit ring" then. Its a template of a type 4 exit. If it fits over you, OK. If not, no fly.
A positive change if widely used.

As good as the Pilot accounts shall be....they do not necessarily tell the whole and entire truth of the event. Not that they are being intentionally deceitful....not at all....just that they were deluged with inputs, sounds, lights, physical forces, and as is common in very serious emergency situations....took actions that were a result of training and experience that they may not even recall having done.

The CVR and Data Recorder does not suffer from those Human weaknesses....the wee digital memory they use retains everything without any emotion or psychological constraints. They too have their weaknesses but when combined with all of the evidence the AAIB shall discover.....the Truth of this tragedy will very likely be found.
FWIW, I have had a CFIT(W) many years ago. I had a very clear memory of events that got hazy when (I thought) we hit the water. Later listening to the CVR, I saw I had blocked the last 30 seconds. It came back somewhat later listening to myself saying things that (I knew in my own head) I had never said. Surreal.
=======

Also FWIW, the first person I saw after waking up in hospital was a man in a suit who asked me only "was it a problem with the aircraft that we need to tell everybody about" (or words close and to that effect). I said no, it was us. The rest of the world didn't receive any additional information for some time, because they didn't need to.

I wasn't considered fit for any other "interview", due to injuries, for about a week as I recall.
=======

The info the FDR told me about what we did and didn't do right was amazing!

Last edited by pilot and apprentice; 28th Aug 2013 at 10:22.