PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin Air Filtering
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 07:41
Pinkman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ExXB

Its a fair question. I've researched it, written about it, and looked at the references (and looked at the new ones in response to your question).

In 2006, in a document I edited for our industry

Managing tuberculosis | IPIECA

I said "According to the WHO, the risk of acquiring TB infection during air travel is similar to that associated with other activities in which contact with potentially infectious individuals may occur (e.g. train travel, bus travel, any gathering in enclosed spaces). Only passengers in the same section of the aircraft appear to be at risk. This risk is minimal in flights under eight hours duration". That was the 2006 guidance from WHO and I had visited them in Geneva to discuss this.

But although that guidance hasn't much changed I am no longer convinced this holds especially on longer flights. Think about it: nearly two billion passengers fly annually. One third of the worlds population is infected with TB (granted not all of those are infectious or have active or MDR TB).

We've drifted off the OP's request which was on cabin air: I am not suggesting that cabin air that is properly filtered through regularly changed HEPA filters isnt safe. I am not suggesting that circulation of air has any more than an incidental role as a carrier of infectious droplets. But the extended flights we do now are very different from 90 minutes in a cinema. We've had cases on offshore rigs with shared accommodation where two HIV infected trainees from Africa (who were tested negative for TB because of immunosuppression) infected many co-workers in their two week rotation.

I am getting you the references and will re-post tonight.