PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 28th Aug 2013, 07:31
bigglesbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummingfrog
As an "old salt" I agree with you that the use and complexity of the autopilot is a worry. I understand that the systems are not user friendly, perhaps because they may be fixed wing nav systems not altered for helicopter usage. I am retired so haven't used the new systems but I can give one example.
Actually I find the EC225 autopilot, FMS (GPS/flight planning unit) and automation intergration far easier to understand than the (SAR) S61 or AS332L. That may be because I am "Playstation" generation and self confessed utter technogeek. Even my more senior and less computer literate colleagues loved it though, so it's not just me.

Fuel is a very important aspect of operations! On the 365N2 I could call up one page which would show me actual fuel at each way point I had in my route. Destination and diversion being the most important, and is was very accurate. This took alot of stress away if the weather was bad and I was operating to minimums.
225 FMS gives you any bit of fuel information you like at any point quickly and VERY easily. And you can have it on two different routes from your current position, one active and one in the memory on standby.

As a pilot I want a system that is intuitive and requires one button to activate - and that button only does ONE THING!
Yup we call it the Go Around button on the 225 and with one press it gets you going up regardless if you have presset the computer to take you anywhere. I think it will even level wings for you so if it all hits the fan you can press it and bail out, although how quick it levels I am not sure hopefully HC can correct/confirm.

I admit I am biased, I am a 225 Fanboy as is my wife as she feels safest when I fly the 225. Before people roll their eyes she has been in the industry for almost 20 years, helicopter operators as well as oil. The sooner I get on the 225 the better.

Si

Last edited by bigglesbutler; 28th Aug 2013 at 07:34.