PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on post CPL options
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2013, 01:38
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on post CPL options

Folks,

I am approaching the end of my CPL and I'm seeking advice on a decision I have to make. Let me preface this by saying that I am not one of these people obsessed with climbing straight into a shiny jet to press buttons - maybe down the track, but it is not my one and only aim. I believe I would be perfectly happy putzing around in a C172 for a wee while. To cut the chase, I would like to know your opinions on which of these two is the more likely to find employment in the current economic climate, in your experience:

(i) 200ish hour CPL + FI Rating (with extra $20k in back pocket)
(ii) 200ish hour CPL + MECIR + 100 hours ICUS and 50 hours PIC in a piston twin (night IFR cargo runs)

I have the option of getting myself into either of these positions. Obviously one has more hours, but as far as I can see has more limited opportunities. Certainly either training provider might offer me a job at the end of the course, but there are no guarantees, hence I am thinking of the worst case scenario whereby I finish the courses and get sent on my merry way. I have flown previously with both providers and I like them both. Each tells me of a glorious future paved with gold, but since I live (sort of) in the real world I know full well they are both businesses and will tell me what I want to hear to get me to swipe my credit card.

I am leaning towards the FI at the moment as I enjoy tutoring (I work at a uni) and I think there are probably more job opportunities, especially around the capital cities, plus I would be $20k better off. Please note that I have a genuine interest in instructing, rather than using it to fill up the logbook on the way to somewhere else.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Gareth.