PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A109SP (GRAND NEW) Operators (Problems TR?)
Old 28th Aug 2013, 01:06
BlenderPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A109SP (GRAND NEW) Operators (Problems TR?)

We are operating an A109SP at higher DA's and us and a couple of other operators around are having severe problems with Tail Rotor Autority on the the A109SP, this due to the fact that the TR has remained almost the same although the aircraft has increased power and weight considerably, I know the Tail Rotor has enough authority for lower DA's but at higher altitudes this just is not the case.

We have had instances where with even the slightest wind from the critical azimuth (less than 5 knots) the aircraft with just yaw with the pedal all the way to the stop, even with low weights and average power.

I am sure Agusta is aware of this problem since we have become aware REGA/Switzerland (Da Vinci operators, which is practically identical in TR control system to the Grand New) has complained about this dangerous flight condition and Agusta immediately responded with 2 bulletins (One is Mandatory) (109SP-047 and 049) that modify the Autoflight Software and the Mechanical TR controls, this I understand makes a huge difference.

UNFORTUNATELY I suspect that due to economical/commercial reasons they are trying to make this bulletin NOT applicable to ALL 109SP machines, although the TR system and control system is practically identical and doing this would improve the safety of all A109SP operators.

Anybody here operates an 109SP at higher DA's and has had problems with their TR authority? Are you aware of these bulletins?