PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 22:06
HeliComparator

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
On the other hand, the door is harder to jettison unless you are the one sitting next to the handle.

But I do think some sense of proportion is needed (no pun intended). Yes, its true that old, fat people may find it harder to exit than young fit ones. But set against that, look at the probabilities. Even though we have had these 5 recent events, only one required very rapid evacuation and even then we don't really know the full story yet.

I have over 10,000 hrs on offshore helis is a career spanning 30 years, as do very many of my colleagues. No-one I can think of has had to make a rapid evacuation due to upturned helicopter. So for the average bear making 1 round trip every 5 weeks, the chances of having to do this is really extremely small. It would of course be a personal decision, but I see no logical reason for someone of the grey and chubby variety to give up offshore work. They are far, far more likely to die from eg a heart attack.