PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 27th Aug 2013, 22:02
Wizbod7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would you do?

Hey guys!

Need some opinions. My goal is to become a commercial pilot, I'm 23 years old and left school with not 1 gcse, not because of lack of ability but just had no career goals or ambition and was very immature!

A few years after leaving school I realised that becoming a commercial pilot is the path I wanted to take. I looked into it and found that my education needed improving so I've done that and now I'm in a position to take my A levels, which I understand are important for sponsored schemes.

The dilemma I have is whether I should start my A levels this September or wait a year and get some money behind me as I'm literally broke at this moment in time, and I find it hard, I can't bear it anymore, I feel the lack of money will affect my ability to achieve the highest grades, I'm from a poor family so I cannot get support from them.

If I do decide not to start this year I will be 26 by the time I'm finished my A levels, would this be too old? I just don't know what to do as becoming a pilot is something I feel I must pursue! I understand how tough it is, and I must admit I do have second thoughts sometimes because if how unpredictable the aviation industry is but I can't see myself doing anything els until I've tried to achieve my goal!

Taking a year out will allow me to take my class 1 medical, start my ppl and save some money!

Please guys! I'm really in need of some guidance and would appreciate any input! What would you do?