PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest KLGA gear collapse.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 22:01
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just heard the captain was fired and the (Air Trans) FO received ground school and a sim ride.
If true, the captain was fired a lot faster than the Burbank crew who went off the runway in March 2000.

They were fired in August 2000:

Southwest Fires Pilots for Burbank Crash Landing

B U R B A N K, Calif., Aug. 3

Southwest Airlines fired the pilot and co-pilot of a 737 jetliner that skidded off a runway and onto a street during a botched landing at Burbank Airport in March.

Company officials declined to discuss the reason for the dismissals.

'All I can do is verify that the pilots have been terminated', Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Linda Rutherford said Wednesday. 'We can't give any other details because the National Transportation Safety Board investigation is still pending.'
Southwest Fires Pilots for Burbank Crash Landing - ABC News

And, when the plane finally came to rest and the sirens of approaching crash trucks filled the cockpit, [the captain], a veteran airline captain with 11,000 hours flying time, declared, "Well, there goes my career."
In his interview with the NTSB, [the captain] attributed the "high and hot" landing to a strong tail wind and the fact that air traffic controllers had instructed him to maintain an air speed of at least 230 knots during an earlier part of the approach.

He and [the FO] also indicated they had been concerned about an airliner that was landing ahead of them. [the FO] said that just before landing he noticed they seemed to be overtaking the other plane and worried that it might not clear the runway before they touched down.

[the FO] said that on approach he had been concerned that the plane seemed to be high and traveling faster than it should have been, but said nothing to the captain.

Indeed, [the FO] seemed almost frozen as the accident unfolded, acknowledging that he had not read out a checklist or announced altitude points at prescribed points as the plane neared the runway.

"Asked if he had made the callouts on the accident flight, he said, 'No, I don't think so. Not sure. I'd be surprised if I did,' " the interview report said.
Southwest Pilot Takes Full Blame for Accident at Burbank Airport - Los Angeles Times

As a footnote, from what was later posted here on PPRuNe, the Burbank crash captain was subsequently allowed to retire with full benefits and the FO got his job back largely due to the efforts of the pilots' union SWAPA:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...tml#post541680

Last edited by Airbubba; 27th Aug 2013 at 22:57.