PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 21:58
SpazSinbad

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
SloMoSTO Video

One-eighth slow motion video clip of a STO onboard USS Wasp - note the shooter not bothering to hold on to the deck tiedown fitting and of course the nonchalant bow man: [OLD 2011 Quote Below]

Vertical landings hit the mark in F-35B’s tests By Kate Wiltrout The Virginian-Pilot 20 Oct 2011
“...Engineers initially thought the jet would create far more turbulence on the flight deck because it's much more powerful than the Harrier. Cordell said for the first few flights off the Wasp, the shooter – the flight deck crewmember who taps the flight deck, signaling final permission for pilots to takeoff – was told to tuck his head down, run to the ship's island (superstructure) & hold on for the actual launch. After a number of takeoffs, Cordell said, the shooter said that precaution seemed unnecessary. Couldn't he just hold onto one of the metal rings set into the flight deck, like he did when Harriers launched? The engineers assented.

Engineers were also concerned about the forward-most flight deck crewmember – the bow-waver, who signals to the shooter that there's no interference before takeoff. "He is right at the point where the wing is demanding the most lift possible, where you'd expect outwash and potential problems. He stands there as if he has very few cares in the world," Cordell said. Adm. Kevin Scott, the commander of Expeditionary Strike Group Two, seconded that point. "I didn't believe it at first. So I walked up there and stood next to him. It was really impressive," Scott told reporters....”
Vertical landings hit the mark in F-35B's tests | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

F 35B STO ShortTakeOff SLOMO one eighth speed - YouTube

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 27th Aug 2013 at 23:10. Reason: One day I'll figure out how to get the Utube Video Preview first time + add screenie + OLD QUOTE