PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 21:42
OffshoreSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"How much of an uproar would it cause if helicopter passengers were told, 'You're a big guy, so sit by the door. You're a slim guy, so sit by the removable window. You can fit through it easily, and agile enough to do it quickly.'

My guess is that the slimmer passengers would complain like mad that they are being moved away from the larger exit, despite the fact that such a process would give a greater chance of getting everyone out alive, and it wouldn't have crossed their minds if it hadn't been brought to their attention.

There are some aspects of improving flight safety that, whilst valid, are likely never to see the light of day..."

One thing I did notice about the 3 guys that didn't make it, was that they were all somewhat "older", ie in their 50's. The guys on the TV of the survivors coming out of the CG helicopter all looked much younger.

Is there a case for "early retirement" on safety grounds, I wonder??

FWIW, Thankfully I'm well past the age of having to get on a flight offshore, but if I did have to go, I'd have no problems getting on a SP of any variant.

Just a thought - hope you guys don't mind.