PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 17:30
cyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is very much the problem when pilots are asked to give an opinion like this. We are not risk takers but by the very nature of the job, we are risk acceptors i.e we know that there is always risk associated with aviation and a little more so in the offshore world even in the best maintained, best operated helicopter. If we aren't comfortable with the extra risk, we would never fly and we wouldn't be able to do our job properly. For some of our passengers, it is difficult to accept this risk and I have every sympathy with them, there isn't one of us who have not had a little dark thought during the quiet moments of the cruise. However, we have to put these thoughts stirred up by our inner chimp, aside. For our passengers and us, there is a choice. We are all volunteers, there are no press gangs on the streets of Aberdeen and if your inner chimp starts to take control with dark thoughts, then maybe you need to take a deep look at your life and ask the question, what the hell am I doing here? We all have bills, mortgages etc. but there is always another way.

I have every sympathy for the pilot who uttered these words and we all know what he said is right. You can jump in a S92/139/155 tomorrow and the risk is the same. The fortunes of timing we cannot control and I don't suppose he feels particularly great at the moment but please don't persecute an aviator who was just telling the truth.