PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Club Thread: Not in Good Health
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 15:01
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for your reply Winco and I'm sorry if I offended you with regard to the heritage issue, I didn't mean to.

I don't think the name of the club matters a fig; but just imagine the paperwork and cost to change it now!

As for the weddings and "all and sundry" etc. Maybe I didn't make it clear.

AS I understand it:

The RAF Club Company owns the building at 128 Piccadilly.

The RAF Club and its members are allowed to use the building as a social and residential clubhouse.

The RAF Club Company owns the RAF Club Trading Company.

The RAF Club Trading Company is allowed to use rooms in the building as venues for events to generate revenue for the RAF Club.

The RAF Club Trading Company and the RAF Club are a bit like lodger units in the same building.

Customers of the RAF Club Trading Company have nothing to do with the RAF Club - they are not invited in by the club. They make bookings with the trading company for their event, they turn up, they enjoy themselves, they pay for the service provided and then they go away.

As for "all and sundry" being accepted; the trading company has a process which checks bookings to make sure they are not inadvertently allowing undesirable factions (such as criminal or banned organizations) to hold meetings etc in the clubhouse, these won't be accepted.

If LAC Smith and his delightful young fiancée want to book their wedding in the clubhouse at 128 Piccadilly and hold a reception for all their family and friends, in the ballroom, they are entirely at liberty to do so by making a booking with the trading company.

If Warrant Officer Niceguy and his close family would like to celebrate his retirement from the RAF with a quiet luncheon in the boardroom, all he has to do is pick up the phone and call the trading company.

The RAF Club has criteria for eligibility, that is what defines a members' club. The RAF Club Trading Company is a commercial organization which will accept bookings from any respectable individual or organization.

Rgds SOS

Last edited by SOSL; 27th Aug 2013 at 15:27. Reason: grammar