PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 13:31
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy reading the posts that SASless makes. He has a great talent for aiming at right spot - but a completely warped love of the Chinook!

On this thread he has posted the quote
Nick Lappos in a Safety Seminar I attended.....said "The harder you have to argue you have no problem.....the bigger your problem really is."
I've read all of the accident investigations of the UK crashes and they make sad reading - failed procedures, failed processes, engineering or design errors. Their cumulative effect has got us here. Most of the non-pilot contributions have been trying to point this out.

Airwave I think sums up the passenger view quite well. If the 332s have to be scarificed to shake things up, tough! It is not fair and I for one would be happy to go offshore tomorrow in one - I do not believe (perhaps until the AAIB preliminary bulletin!) that there is a type specific fault. But things have to change.

What I do believe is there is no active safety management and nothing pro-active within the system (EASA, CAA, Helicopter companies, O&G companies) which will eliminate the sources of potential accidents and so reduce the real accident rate. Plugging the holes which have appeared in the bucket is not working.

Anold Palmer is reputed to have said "the more I practice, the luckier I get". In the majority of cases luck is practice. I'm right behind Mechta.