PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 13:17
Bastardeux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think the same for any Naval Aircraft? It would be interesting to know your perception of how many arrested landings an F-35C may make compared to ordinary runway landings. Of course you can only guess but nevertheless is the hook a 'pointless' accessory? It is so handy - not just for carrier arrested landings but even the F-35A has an emergency hook - which will probably never be used. But lets get rid of that quick smart.
No, because this isn't like any other naval aircraft, is it? This is an aircraft where technology has been developed at enormous cost (and compromise to capability) specifically for a capability that has always verged on the irrelevant. Carrier aviation is a proven war winner. Having exceptionally expensive aircraft flying from ships that are in the vicinity of an aircraft carrier anyway, is not. Given unlimited budgets I would be happy to see it succeed...it's a supreme demonstration of what can be engineered...but in the age of austerity, is it worth the opportunity cost of other, cheaper and more capable platforms? No. It's capability applies to a situation that is too rare to justify its cost, especially as that thing isn't going anywhere without a huge trail of other aircraft.

The STOVL MODE of the F-35B allows landings in a kinds of situations where a conventional aircraft - even one with a hook - would find such landing impossible. Let us not forget a STO. But you knew that - right?
You don't have to patronise me. I have employed a hook enough times to value it's worth thank you very much.