PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 27th Aug 2013, 07:07
Old King Coal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flymetodubai: The reference to the availability (or not) of coffee was 'emblematic'. E.g. if you've been in FZ long enough, you'll certainly recall the debacle of the aircrew being banned from using the 'staff' car park (seemingly on the basis that without a desk in the office we were not considered worthy)?! So the fact that, during office hours, all's available, but during non-office hours it's like the Mary Celeste, these are the sort of things that reveal the attitude of mind.

Now I was hoping that this airline would indeed become the "SouthWest of the Middle East" (much as KG said to me, during my interview back in 2008), but, let's be honest, it's not even close and here's an interesting little parlour game we can all play: "Name me anything in FZ that has got better in the last +4 years?"

You see, and as far as I can tell: The rosters are still far from desired (and late). The package is fundamentally the same (though, and before you say it, the 'bonus' paid in 2013 was used as an offset against any increase in salary or allowances and, being un-contractual, they don't have to pay it in the future, and / or how do you know if the 'target' was made or not, wherein it's not like they publish their end of year accounts now, is it?! Fwiw, I have a sneaky suspicion that the 'target', i.e. for triggering the bonus payment in 2014, will just be missed and, in spite of all your ever so hard work, you won't get the bonus in 2014 - ahhh, never mind, suckers!... and, as precedent to that, see also Emirates' bonus in 2012 & 2013). Some might try and suggest that the healthcare cover has got better (remembering that it was slashed after year 1), but it's really only back to what it was when we first started. I suppose that if you've kids in school in Dubai that the increase in the education allowance was welcome, though parents are still having to put their hands (deep) into their pockets to cover the costs. Etc...

As for PB solving the roster crisis, I admire your optimism, though I suspect you'll be disappointed and will see a lot of what could be days-off being filled with inane standby's.

For my own part, having recently shaken off a nasty dose of Stockholm Syndrome, I have set the wheels in motion to leave asap... wherein I have truly had enough of both Dubai and FZ; and I'm far from alone in that sentiment!