PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 27th Aug 2013, 06:03
bigglesbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second what DB has just said and would like to add, the people denigrating on this thread probably aren't north sea aircrew.

Traditionally "Bears" has been the nickname for offshore workers and in my 11 years I have never used it or heard it used as a negative, to me "Self Loading Freight" is far worse a nickname.

Having seen the north sea in it's best and worse I am thankful I don't have that any more here in Australia but in all honesty cannot think of a different all weather platform to deliver you to work. Bucket transfer from a ship in 55kts of driving snow? No thanks.

I hear your pain and emotion but as with all of life we need to learn and improve not fight. If the Offshore workers are so inclined they could push on the oil companies to improve things like funding projects within the helicopter industry to push safety on. For example HUMS, Bristow started of it's own back years ago, think on where it could be now if the oil companies had helped fund and research it in the interim.

My wife and I are truly horrified and upset to hear the fatal outcome of this recent accident and our hearts go out to ALL the families affected.

Si