PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quality Flight Instruction, where and how?
Old 27th Aug 2013, 05:10
Pullbacktogodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quality Flight Instruction, where and how?

G'day all.

I have been reading pprune for a couple of years now and have found some very informative and at time "entertaining" posts.

I have finally decided to add my own bit of "entertainment" due to that fact that I have been rather uncomfortable in the way I see the aviation industry slowly deteriorate from RPT right through to Flight Training. I am not an instructor myself but currently fly charter and have been involved with a few different companies etc. I trained at what I now recognise to be a sausage factory with fresh cpl instructors teaching me.

Years have passed since my initial commercial training but I have done a few endo/ratings in the last few years and to my disapointment things have not improved with our flight training institutions here in Australia. Some of my most regrettable memories are of things like stuffing up a radio call on a ppl nav and being told by my 20 yro instructor that I will need to do another 2.5 hr dual nav to consolidate my radio work. $750 thankyou sir. Other memories include being assigned a diffent instructor everyday with no consistency between them. Or only flying once a week because the school have decided that its appropriate for 40 odd students to share 5 planes.

Of course these are very common gripes and not new to many here, however I am still seeing many fresh charter pilots coming out of schools very unprepared and a bit too wet behind the ears and $80000 out of pocket. So this leads me to a few questions which I would love to hear your thoughts on.

1.Is QUALITY flying training a viable commercial business? Or is this the reason a lot of schools take your hard earned money and deliver Sub standard training?

2. I am opposed to fresh Cpls doing the instructor rating with out any real world experience. No more hour builders who have no real interest in teaching others to fly. Is this a realistic thing to expect or pie in the sky?

3. Is the current CPL syllabus really a "real world" syllabus or has it become a pure box ticking excercise?

4. Who is responsible for monitoring the standard of Flying training in Australia and are they doing their job?

Thanks in advance to all who care to reply.