PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Callsign confusion
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2013, 00:16
baghdadkiwi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take Baghdad ATC for example. They will only let gulf carriers transit their airspace using the commercial flight number as callsign
really?

my experience over the last 3 years is that they will refuse entry to an aircraft who is
a}not on the list, and/or
b}who have not paid their money to transit or land within an airfield in Iraq.

Nothing to do with call signs.......I could be wrong tho.

We just have an Iraq sup turn up beside us and say "that aircraft must remain clear".....again, nothing to do with call signs.

As an approach controller who has been seconded to area for a few months I basically work on South Sector. There is a huge number of call signs that have the same numbers but different airlines and same airlines with close numbers...if that makes sense. I have learnt very quickly to say the call sign twice in a transmission which takes very little time really but gets the right response.

Emirates seven two, emirates seven two contact......etc etc. Talking slowly and deliberately proves a success rate of almost 100%. There are times that someone is not listening or the wrong aircraft takes the change. Can't help that..it just happens.

Also as an ATCO if similar callsigns on Freq I always repeat it twice, first time to "perk" their ears, second time so they know its them.....I have found that I end up with very little......."were you calling xxx",or "was that for xxx", or "confirm that was for xxx"

just my 2 dinars worth .........again......

PS...Jetjock...I love that movie and must have seen it at least 10 times....

Last edited by baghdadkiwi; 27th Aug 2013 at 00:24.