PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 26th Aug 2013, 23:29
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by airwave45
Lorrimer,
I sailed on the Bar Protecter when we went to find the 3rd of the ditched chinooks.
I thought that there was only the one Chinook fatal ditching?

Some of the hysteria being whipped up in the UK media is borderline reprehensible, especially the perceived use of 'bears' as denigrating the offshore workers. They have referred to themselves as such since the 1970's, for goodness sake, yet the fluffy kitten loving PC marketing types now see it as us denigrating our passengers!

I fear that this will run unchecked until either someone gets out with simple one line messages that the average 21st Century journalist can understand or until the Puma family is removed from North Sea ops. Essentially, no one but us helicopter pilots and engineers is the slightest bit interested in the technicalities that we discuss here. The modern media world lives on short, sharp messages regardless of the truth behind what is actually said..

Look at the constant reference to the Sumburgh 332L2 'falling out of the sky', all based on a third hand telephone call from (supposedly) a passenger's relative. It has now been reported so often that as far as the UK population is concerned it is fact, and nothing has come from CHC nor from Airbus Helicopters to refute the claim.

That's how the modern media works, and if it is on Twit-ter or Facebook then it must be true to the younger generation