PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 26th Aug 2013, 20:28
excrement

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nonsense

This is my first contribution this site, but having read all of the postings, some of which are well informed and make valid observations backed up with facts, otherssadly are ill informed and ridiculous.

Pilots and engineers are the same on BOTH sides of the North Sea and if comparisons are to be made to determine “WHO IS THE SAFEST” then the following should be taken into account.

Regarding the recent CRASHES/DITCHINGS/INCIDENTS, not including the most recent as cause has still to be released;

The initial EC225 incident was due to pilot error and possibly conditions but NOT THEOPERATOR or sector of operation.

The L2 crash was attributed to debris in the main xmsn. The operator and its procedures were closely scrutinised by the relevant bodies and determined not to be negligent.

The EC225 DITCHINGS were performed by their Pilots who each made a decision based on their ability, experience and the situation they encountered including passenger safety.

None of the above can be attributed to area of operation, and the fact that these events did not occur in the Norwegian sector was purely by chance.

PLEASE no more talk of EXPLODING ROTOR BLADES, PARACHUTES, ILL-INFORMED IMPROVEMENTS TO IHUMS OR MARMS and MOUNTING THE FLOATS above the windows.

As for survival training, when the DUNKING is carried out in the pool Divers are always at hand and should someone panic and fail to evacuate the operation is repeated. Unfortunately in a real event there are no second chances.

I have worked with all variants of Super Puma as well as other types for 30 years and can assure any apprehensive passenger I do not take their safety lightly. I am also saddened by nonsense media reporting and subsequent rhetoric.
If a Kneejerk reaction to these events results in the removal of the Super Puma then should it’s alternative (S92) have a problem – WHAT THEN !