PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light Aircraft Ferrying???
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2003, 21:35
+7-5G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When ferry flying is mentioned everybody thinks ATLANTIC.
Start small.

I started ( with a PPL) just making collections and deliveries around the UK and Europe for maintenance companies I was involved with. Many owners don't have the time to deliver and collect their aircraft for maintenance themselves. As you build up a reputation for reliability, you are more likely to get more work, and the insurance will become less of a problem.

ferrybloke's website- career page gives a good overview, and I have attached an excerpt from it:
"If ferrying is still your goal, gain the initial skills and experience by flying good long distances within your own country and more importantly outside of your own country. Try and pick up any maintenance ferry flights or positioning flights at your local airfield."

Another excerpt from ferrybloke's page:
"Ferrying aircraft is a very demanding and difficult occupation. You are expected to fly any type of aircraft through challenging and sometimes extreme conditions whilst sticking to strict cost and time budgets. Home becomes a cramped, cold and uncomfortable cockpit for up to 12 hours at a time. It is not for everyone and the dangers are real."

At the end of the day paid or not, you will do it for the love of it.
The upside:
You will see amazing things you desparately want to share with the rest of the world, but cannot even begin to describe.
Ferrying is often a lot of hassle, especially at the begining, and can be very lonely, but also very exciting and very rewarding. Get any experience you can.

Good luck!